Google+ Jack Leslie F1: Rosberg: "I thought he was going to put me in the wall"

1 April 2014

Rosberg: "I thought he was going to put me in the wall"

Nico Rosberg said his heart "skipped a beat" at the start of the Malaysian Grand Prix after Sebastian Vettel squeezed him towards the pit wall.
© Mercedes AMG Petronas
The German driver eventually finished the race in second place, 17 seconds behind his team-mate. For driver reaction from the second round of the season, click here.

Rosberg lined up in third place and had a strong launch from the grid, keeping the inside line as he went side-by-side with Vettel. It was close, but he managed to move up to second as the field entered turn one.

However, the drama didn't end there as he almost lost control of the car altogether at turn three. A scary twitch saw him loose momentum onto the following straight but the battling Red Bulls failed to find a way through.

"First of all the start, I had a really good start, so I was happy about that because it’s not so easy this year," he said in the post-race press conference. "The rear tyres are harder and we have more torque. 

"So it’s very difficult to get it right - but it felt great and got away well and then Sebastian, I thought he was going to put me right into the wall, but he stopped just before - so thank you for that."

Vettel responded, saying: "I had a similar experience last year..."

Rosberg added: "That doesn’t make it right to do it again. My heartbeat skipped a beat a little bit but I kept right on it, it was OK anyway, it wasn’t that bad. Then I had a bit of a moment in Turn Three, a bit of a tail, tank-slapper and that allowed them all to get another run on me, but it all worked out."

Missed any of the action from Malaysia? Catch up with my complete weekend report: http://bit.ly/1m9EFhf

No comments: