Google+ Jack Leslie F1: A new chapter

25 September 2014

A new chapter

As some of you may know if you follow me on Twitter, I recently moved to the University of Westminster to start a Journalism degree. 
It has been a hectic, emotional and nerve-wracking few weeks of getting prepared, moving in, getting to know everyone and everything and starting my course, but I am now starting to feel settled in my new location. 

I am currently living at the University’s Harrow campus, which is where all of the teaching for my degree takes place. It has been exciting to properly start work on the four modules I will be doing this semester, but I am still incredibly nervous about it all. 

I finished my A Levels and Sixth Form last summer and worked every day (and that is no exaggeration) during my gap year covering motorsport and Formula 1 for a number of websites and my own blog. 

That will hopefully continue during my time at University, but I suspect the number of articles that I do may decrease, with my degree obviously coming first. 

So why did I choose the University of Westminster? Well, the campus is just 25 minutes away from central London on the Tube, it is one of the best places to study a degree related to media, the course appealed to me a lot and also I love the campus. 

My University room still feels a bit bare, but I am getting used to living in a much busier place. I was so, so nervous about moving in. Would my flat-mates like me? Would the room be okay? Fortunately we all seem to be getting along well so far and one of them is on my course, which is an added bonus. 

Move-in day was emotional to say the least. I tried to keep it together when saying goodbye to my parents and siblings, but it was hard to part with them after 19 years living in the same house and seeing each other every day. It is weird, but it is part of growing up and I am still looking forward to tackling independent living. 

So far I have had all of my course and University inductions, as well as my first week of course teaching – workshops, seminars and lectures etc. The course is very varied and covers a wide range of topics, which I am eager to explore. 

However, I am still quite nervous about covering new subjects. The work I will be doing on my degree is very, very different to my Formula 1 writing but the main aim of doing this is to become a better, more confident journalists with lots of new skills and knowledge about the world of journalism. 

In terms of my F1 and motorsport work for Richland F1, Car Throttle, RumbleStripNews, Formula1Blog and PureF1, not much will change. You will still see my articles on those websites and I will be working hard to juggle my studies and my freelance pieces. 

I have set up a new blog on Wordpress that will be completely separate to this one. It will be where I post my University work, so you can follow my journey on there. Hopefully you enjoyed reading this piece and learning about this new chapter of my life. I am optimistic that it will be a good one and will lead to bigger and better things.

No comments: