Google+ Jack Leslie F1: Verstappen to replace Vergne in Japan first practice

29 September 2014

Verstappen to replace Vergne in Japan first practice

2015 Toro Rosso driver Max Verstappen will make his F1 race weekend debut in first practice for the Japanese Grand Prix, it has been announced.
© Toro Rosso/ Richard de Klerk
The Dutch teenager will be replacing Jean-Eric Vergne for the session at the Suzuka circuit.

Verstappen, who turns 17 tomorrow, will become the youngest ever F1 driver when he competes in next year's Australian Grand Prix.

Toro Rosso confirmed that Verstappen has been granted the required super license by the FIA, following a test in a 2012 car in Italy earlier this month.

He has already completed a day of simulator work in preparation for his race weekend debut.

"I am very much looking forward to taking part in a free practice session at a Grand Prix for the first time," said Verstappen, who is currently second in the FIA Formula 3 European Championship standings. 

"It is good preparation for next year, even if it’s not something I could have imagined a few months ago. To already be participating in a practice session is of course a dream come true. I have actually been to Suzuka before, to take part in a go-kart race on the track that is located next to the main circuit’s back straight. 

 "For me it will be a very valuable experience, spending some time in the car and also getting used to working with everyone in the team, to prepare myself for next year. I am not going there to break any records, I just want to gain experience. 

"I have spent one day driving this track on the simulator, which helps a bit, but it’s no substitute for driving it for real. My first impression is that it’s not an easy track and for example it looks hard to get the combination right in the first esses. I have one and a half hours to drive there and I’m looking forward to doing a good job, for myself and for the team."

UPDATE: It was confirmed on Wednesday morning that Roberto Merhi will drive in first practice for Caterham in Japan, replacing Kamui Kobayashi.

No comments: