Google+ Jack Leslie F1: Nasr secures final 2015 seat at Sauber

5 November 2014

Nasr secures final 2015 seat at Sauber

Felipe Nasr has been announced as a Sauber F1 Team driver for the 2015 Formula 1 season.
© Octane Photographic
The Brazilian will join Marcus Ericsson, who was confirmed at the Swiss outfit on Saturday.

A former British F3 champion, Nasr is currently second in the GP2 championship with one round remaining.

It is his third season racing in the series. He joined Williams Martini Racing at the start of the year as a reserve driver and completed several first practice outings for the team.

"It is a very important step in my career to sign with the Sauber F1 Team for the 2015 Formula 1 world championship," Nasr said. 

"This is an unforgettable moment that I owe to all of those who have supported me - my family, my friends, my sponsors, my teams and my country. Today the dream has come true.

"Sauber was responsible for the arrival in F1 of great names such as Felipe Massa, Kimi Raikkonen, Robert Kubica and Sebastian Vettel. I am proud now to also be part of this racing family. I had a wonderful year at Williams Martini, where I learned a lot and prepared myself to be a race driver in Formula 1."

Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn added: "We have been following Felipe’s career path for some time now, and he fully deserves his position in Formula 1 having had a very successful career in junior categories.

"We are happy that he will be driving for our team next year. This means that Brazil will have one more young and talented driver in the sport. Banco do Brasil has been an important partner for Felipe so far, and we are delighted that such a renowned company is contuing to support him during this important step. We look forward to this partnership." 

Nasr's appointment means Sauber will have a new sponsor next year. The C34 will sport Banco do Brasil logos on the sidepods and rear wing.

No comments: